16 September 2007

piles

It's typical. I'm always surrounded by piles. Piles of paper, piles of books. Piles of clothes, piles of scrap supplies. But my favourite pile right now? My wood pile. While on Saturna last weekend having a visit with my dad, seeing the latest gorgeous house he's built down @ Saturna beach, I asked him about spare wood. I've been painting a lot lately on wood...collage stuff etc. It's a great medium - a wonderful surface that looks good even when it's bare. Not only did he send me home with a bunch of spare bits and pieces - 1/4 inch plywood, hardboard, thin veneers and bits of skinny plywood perfect for either art pieces OR covers of books, but two days later mum brought back to Vancouver a pile of 32 6"x8" wood book covers - pre-drilled with 4 holes perfectly to spec.


So grateful for my pile of wood. Fireplace not required.

PS! Sign-ups for LSS are extended to this Wednesday, midnight EST. If you haven't yet signed up, go do it now! First challenge will go up late Thursday/early Friday!

xog

8 comments:

Ania said...

Aw bless the thoughtful mothers! :)

Anonymous said...

omg gen, those are insanely fabulous. here i've been wasting all my time on woodgrain paper, i never thought of making covers from *actual* wood. i'm calling dad first thing tomorrow morning, get his rear into the garage to make me some! : )

enjoy those beauties!

sarah said...

awesome!
I work for a construction company...
sounds like I need to get the guys to make me some of these!
:)

Breanne Crawford said...

TOTAL score on the wood covers.

Anonymous said...

you had better change your link to the dares website on your right sidebar...yikes!!!

g said...

i'm like that with chipboard and acrylic sheets. I think i was doing "clear" albums LOOOOOOOOOOOOng before they were popular!!

can't wait to see what you make...

stephanie howell said...

gen-
awesome idea.
hope you aren't swallowed by piles. =)

Heather M. said...

How COOL is that?!?!